It is possible to create an upload page on your website, also known as a ‘drop box’, which would allow visitors to your website to upload files directly to your ShareFile account, without the need for a user name or password. To create the remote upload page, you will click on the Admin link in your top navigation bar and then Remote upload wizard.
Note: Only employee users who have the ability to manage remote upload forms will have access to this link. (See Managing Employee Permissions)
If you have not created a remote upload form before, you can click on the link in the phrase, No forms have been created yet. Click here to create one. This will open a guide which will allow you to specify how the Remote Upload Form will function:
- Form Description: This is the name of the form in the Remote Upload Wizard page of your account. This name will not be shown on the form itself.
- Form Type: The Simple form will create an iframe which can be easily copied and pasted into the raw HTML of your website. The Advanced selection is geared towards users with HTML knowledge and experience. It provides the full HTML for the login, allowing for a higher level of customization.
- Choose Folder: You will also be able to specify a folder in your ShareFile account where files uploaded using the form will be stored. If this folder has not been created yet, you will want to create it prior to using the Remote Upload Wizard.
- Folder Expiration: You can set a timeframe for how long the form will be functional. This allows you to limit access to the upload form in the case of projects or submissions with a deadline or endpoint.
- Message Type: When an upload completes or fails using the Remote Upload form, the user will be notified by a short message or by being redirected to new webpage. If you choose to redirect the user, you can enter the URLs for Redirect on Success and Redirect on Error. If you opt to show a message, you can enter custom text in Success Message and Error Message.
- Require Uploader Info: By default, users uploading with the remote upload form will be labled as an anonymous upload and any custom details entered will be associated with the file in the 'details' icon to the right of the file. If you would like to have the user uploading the file listed as the creator of the file, instead of anonymous, you can select this option which will include the necessary fields for the user to be created.
- Add Details Field: You may click on add field if you would like to create a space on the form where the user can enter information prior to uploading files. You will be prompted to enter the field name, which the user will see when they use the form. You may also require users to enter information in a field prior to using the Remote Upload Form. This is popular with accounts that need users to enter tracking information, such as name or email address.
- Upload Tool: By default, ShareFile will select the Standard upload option, which allows users to upload files even if they do not have up-to-date Flash software. This is the most stable upload tool. However, you may also select to have users upload using our Flash upload tool, which allows multiple files to upload at a time without being compressed.
- Restrict File Types: Using the Flash upload tool, you may choose to restrict the types of files that can be uploaded using the remote upload form. Once “Flash” has been selected, a new check box should appear next to “Limit Extensions”. Select the check box and two fields should appear: “Allowed Extensions” and “Extensions” label. File extensions should be preceded by a “*.” and separated by a semicolon, as shown in the image below:
- Background Color & Font Color: These options allow you to customize the look of the form. You can enter HTML color codes used in your website to create a more uniform appearance.
Once you have completed the form, click the Generate button. On the next screen, you will be able to copy the custom raw HTML code or HTML iframe for your Remote Upload Form. This can be placed in the raw HTML for your website where you want the form to appear. This code will remain available in Remote Upload Forms section of your account. You can retrieve it by clicking on the View Code icon, or delete it from the list by choosing the Remove icon.